This is an article we wrote for the Fall 2008 issue of Body Magazine – I thought you might find it interesting!
Feeling Better Through Detoxification
Inside this complex organism we call “you”, a remarkable set of organs and processes works vigilantly to deal with unwanted and unneeded substances that find their way from the outside of your body to the inside.
The system works quite well. At least, it used to work well. Your natural detoxification organs – things like your bowels, kidneys, liver and skin – weren’t designed to deal with the excesses of modern life. Some unnecessary food, nutrients, and bacteria? Sure. Food additives, environmental toxins and modern stresses? That’s another matter altogether.
This toxic load builds over time, and can lead to an array of chronic problems like skin conditions, digestive and bowel complaints, allergies, fatigue, and headaches, to name just a few. In order to level the playing ground for your struggling system, additional forms of detoxification can be used to help your body “take out the trash” more regularly and effectively.
There are many ways to detoxify:
- Diet regimes reduce the intake of toxicity from your food, and increase fiber and water intake to help flush your system.
- Colon hydrotherapy gently cleanses the colon to improve bowel function and detoxify the liver.
- Supplements can stimulate the detoxification systems of the body, and provide them with the vitamins and minerals they need to operate effectively.
- Saunas induce sweating to help remove toxins via the skin, liver and kidneys.
- IV Chelation uses substances intravenously (vitamin C, for example) to bind to toxins and flush them from the body.
Each detoxification strategy has its unique characteristics, and may be used in combination or alone depending on the ailment and your health history. To learn more about how detoxification can help you, contact us anytime at 444-5331.