Breakfast shakes are an easy (and tasty) way to get a full complement of fruits and vegetables into your diet. Because the sweet flavour of the fruits is so strong, you can add vegetables and still get a great, rich taste. It makes smoothies a particularly good option for people who aren’t enthusiastic vegetable eaters.
This recipe comes from our friend Dr. Steve Rallis, DC, president of Healthscore. Dr. Steve’s recipe gives you an unbelievable 10 full servings of fruits and veggies!
- 1 cup fruit juice (apple, orange, pineapple) -not from concentrate. Fresh squeezed is better.
- 1 banana
- ½ cup strawberries (frozen and organic are suggested)
- ½ cup blueberries (frozen and organic are suggested)
- 5 cups of baby spinach
- Put the fruit and juice in the blender.
- Start blender and then slowly add the baby spinach.
- Blend until smooth, adding water if necessary to change consistency from thicker to thinner.
Adding 1 tbsp of olive oil or flax seed oil is also a great way to add your essential fats to the smoothie. Protein can be added, too, and if you don’t have the juice, just use fruit and add water or soy milk!